All Americans deserve a high-quality education. This begins with making sure our schools are properly funded and we have high quality teachers teaching our children. As a teacher, I have witnessed good teachers leave the profession for other higher paying jobs. We must do more to retain teachers and make sure they are adequately paid is one place to start. Not only can this help retain good teachers but this will attract more people into teaching programs. We must also make sure that all teaching programs offer student teachers a rigorous high-quality education to prepare them for teaching. Too often teachers are not as well prepared as they should be when they enter their classrooms for the first time. By making sure we properly prepare and mentor new teachers this will encourage more teachers to stay in the classroom also. We also need to work towards making higher education affordable for all students who want to attend college. Students should not be saddled with debt when they graduate. But we also need to make sure that we support quality community college and vocational training programs, not only 4-year colleges.
- Work to improve teacher recruitment and retention
- Rigorous and effective teacher training
- Invest in programs that encourage people to become teacher
- Invest in our teachers so that more stay in the profession
- Invest in our children’s education
- Make sure that our schools and universities have the funding the need
- Increase funding for programs that will help students afford trade school, community college, or university education